The Rudolfiner Society was founded by Gustav Jurié in 1875. in 1879 the Society constituted itself anew, Count Johann Nepomuk Wilczek became its first president and Rudolf, Crown Prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire the Society’s Protector.
The moving spirit of the society, which was called “Rudolfiner Society for the Construction and Maintenance of a Pavilion Hospital for the Training of Nurses for the Sick and Wounded in Vienna” by 1880, was surgeon Theodor Billroth. In 1881 the first course for nurses was given at the Vienna Academy of Commerce.
KommR Dr. Georg Semler (Chairman of the executive board)
Univ. Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kemmetmüller, M.D. (Vice-chairman of the executive board)
Univ.Doz. Dr. Martin Buchelt, M.D.
Chairman of the administrative board:
Gouverneur a.D. Dr. Klaus Liebscher
RA Dr. Herbert Hochegger (Vice-chairman of the administrative board)
OA Dr. Martin Leixnering
Gouverneur a.D. Dr. Klaus Liebscher
V.-Prof. Mag. Dr. Hanna Mayer
Ass. Prof. Dr. Susanne Rödler
Mag. Brigitte Schobesberger, MAS
Univ. Prof. Dr. Josef Schwarzmeier
Generaloberin Charlotte Staudinger
Prim. Doz. Dr. Udo Zifko
Ernst Blaschek (work councillor)
Dr. Werner Kerschbaum (Austrian Red Cross / Deputy Secretary General)
Welcome to the private hospital Rudolfinerhaus, located in a residential area of Vienna in the heart of Europe. The Rudolfinerhaus was founded in 1882 by Theodor Billroth, one of the most renowned and most eminent Physicians of the Viennese Medical School. Up to the present this Viennese private hospital is among the most modern and most beautiful clinics in Austria.
The Rudolfinerhaus is a hospital to which patients may bring their physician of choice, who remains in charge of the patient’s care throughout their stay. As a well established first class hospital and enjoying an excellent international reputation not only regarding its medical and nursing services but also in matters of technical equipment, new developments and improvements the Rudolfinerhaus is looking forward to introducing you to its one-of-a-kind services and facilities.
Obliged to progress by a rich tradition
125 years of success in health care and the treatment of illnesses. History evidences that our clinic is committed to take an international lead in the medical sector as well as in nursing and thereby meets its motto of being “Vienna’s Leading Private Hospital”.
Feeling at home
Close to the natural beauties of the famous Vienna Woods and in the heart of Europe you will find the renowned Viennese private hospital Rudolfinerhaus. Vienna’s best physicians, top class medical services provided with state-of-the-art technical equipment and highly qualified health care and nursing staff are only one part of caring for our patient’s health and a speedy recovery.
The other and equally vital part is the atmosphere of a luxury hotel, likewise enabling a high standard of wellbeing. From the admission to the day of departure – our guests feel just like at home.
In the centre of our attention: the patient
The Rudolfinerhaus in Vienna is proud to look back at the experience of many decades and provide excellent services for patients from the most different cultures, which is made possible also by the wide range of languages spoken by the hospital staff (e.g. Arabic, Russian). Giving every patient the utmost personal attention and being responsive to each guests’ individual needs are part of our premium nursing care based on patient satisfaction.
Most of our health care and nursing staff is educated in the in-house health care and nursing school of the Rudolfinerhaus and lives in line with the equally traditional and progressive visions of the Rudolfinerhaus.
Two health care experts educated in Switzerland are in charge of implementing and safeguarding the highest standards of the newest scientific developments and
principles. We are proud to offer best quality services assured by our quality management programme and our international ISO certificate for the entire hospital and its services.
The Vienna Rudolfinerhaus offers its patients a wide variety of diagnostics and therapy, as for instance:
• open magnetic resonance tomograph (with 360 degrees all-side look-out)
• one of the fastest computer tomographs in the world (64 Zeiler CT)
• Nuclear medicine
• Minimally-invasive tumor therapy
• Pre-care Check-ups
• Gynaecology and Obstetrics
• Heart Center diagnostics and treatment of cardiovascular diseases; including non-invasive and
invasive angiography as well as heart surgery
• Plastic and cosmetic surgery
• Orthopaedics (including total endoprosthetics)
• Minimally-invasive pain therapy
• Ophthalmic surgery
As early as the end of the 19th Century, the well renowned surgeon Theodor Billroth (1829-1894) was one of the first to recognize the importance of having duly trained nursing personnel as partners in the rapidly changing world of medicine. FurthermoreTheodorBillroth, internationally respected already in the early 80s of the 19th century understood the need for reform on the sector of nursing, which was totally lacking the sufficient level of education at the time.
At the “Rudolfinerhaus”, founded by Theodor Billroth and named in honor of Crown Prince Rudolf, the first School of Health and Nursing Care in Austria was opened in 1882. In the course of its 125-year history the Rudolfinerhaus in Vienna has developed into a modern service provider, meeting the highest demands and offering its patients a broad spectrum of medical treatments and up-to-date diagnostics.
In 1882 Theodor Billroth established one of the first schools of nursing in Europe, sponsored by the non-profit “Rudolfinerverein” (Rudolfiner Society), under the patronage and carrying the name of Crown Prince Rudolf.
The festive opening of the Rudolfinerhaus in May of 1882 saw the realization of Billroth’s vision: providing nurses with the opportunity to put their theoretical knowledge into practice in a teaching hospital, while allowing their abundant daily experience at bedside to flow into nursing theory.
Theodor Billroth was followed as director of the hospital by Robert Gersuny. Gersuny was a leadership personality, who, with great patience and love for the enterprise, spared neither time nor effort to lead the work begun by Billroth out of the threats to its existence that prevailed for many years.
After Gersuny’s death, Otto von Frisch was appointed the new director of the Rudolfinerhaus. He was followed as president by the world-famous surgeon – a student of Billroth’s – Anton von Eiselsberg.
In 1956 Leopold Schönbauer took on the office of president and director. Thanks to his drive, the Rudolfinerhaus was able to recover from severe war damage and to undertake essential measures for reconstruction. Furthermore, a modern nurses’ residence was built during his directorship.
It was, finally, due to the internationally renowned and world-famous Professor Karl Fellinger that the Rudolfinerhaus moved to the top rank of private hospitals in Austria. With its far-flung network of contacts – particularly in the Middle East – and a well-functioning organizational structure, a medical institution was created that is not only one of the best in Austria but that has also become well-respected and renowned internationally.
Today, more than 125 years after its founding, the Rudolfinerhaus is one of the top private hospitals in Europe, having a school for nursing and health care attached. The quite and serene location close to the famous natural beauties of the Vienna Woods make the Rudolfinerhaus a first class private hospital not only for local but likewise for international patients offering the right surroundings for successful treatment and rapid recovery.
In December 2007 the Rudolfinerhaus was the first private hospital to obtain the international ISO certificate for the entire hospital and its services.